Sunday, August 22, 2010

We laughed, we chatted, we cried, we had really bad coffee and we sat on our butts for around 10 hours... it was a really long trip, and would have been longer, but I drove!

At 4:30pm we arrived in Charters Towers, unannounced, as we knew mum and dad would have told us not to worry about coming up. We walked through the front gate as dad came around the side of the house... we all sobbed... a moment I will never forget. I was so glad to be there.

We walked inside (after I battled with the sliding security door!) and there was MY mum, lying on her blue leather recliner, just so, so sick and weak... I cried. I was so happy to be there, so happy to see her, but so sad to see her so sick.

That evening, mum walked us around the garden, no, not a pretty secret garden type garden, but a weirdly shaped hexagonal type, with weeds, red dirt and lots of dry and dying plants....ewww! She wanted to show off her new place.

She walked us around the house, approximately 20 metres, she struggled...severely, I was so scared.

The next day (and week) we sat with her, lay down on her bed with her, cried, got her water, watched telly, did anything we could to make her feel better or more comfortable. I loved just being there with her... such valuable time spent together.

The next evening we went up to Charters Towers lookout. I knew mum loved going there, with Mollly (the dog) to feed the wallabies (that we found out later we weren't supposed to feed) I look back now and think how tired and exhausted she must have been, but she went anyway...

Feeding the wallabies apple...they don't like carrot or bread!

Check out my mum and me... She's hot!

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

You are BOTH hot!!!
It was so so scary seeing our indestructible mum so sick and weak. Not nice.
I love you :)

Kate said...

hi Aj!
im kate i am on the dt with kirst at wicked princesses :)
really bittersweet reading your blog post about your mum. it really spoke volumes as to what a beautiful & unselfish person your mum was. to be so sick, not to expect you to come up & then to proudly show off her lovely garden to you guys even though she was so sick. i love seeing the photos of your mum through kirst's blog and facebook, she (and your dad) looked like such a fantastic loving couple, something you don't see a lot of these days in marriages. She is no doubt with you still in spirit, & since she will never be forgotten, she will always live on.
much love & hugs <3